Monday, June 13, 2011

The Name Game: Poppyprint

I am so excited to have Krista from Poppyprint featured today, telling us how she chose her blog name. She was recently chosen by Quilter's Home as one of the 55 top blogs and there is a good reason for that!

(Of COURSE I had to begin with her selvage Chinese Coins!)
1. How did you choose the name, Poppyprint?

About 10 years ago, when my children were in Montessori pre-school, we invited their teacher over for tea in the garden. When she saw our giant poppy seed pods towering over all of the other plants in the garden, she asked if we'd ever tried using them as stampers. Pre-schoolers don't need much more encouragement than that, when it comes to ink pads, paper and something to stamp out over and over and over! When I saw the amazing symmetry and lines in the stamped images, I knew right away I had found my 'logo': my future business name and something to look forward to. One day, I might even sell something I'd made, and this would be me: Poppyprint. It took about seven more years for me to actually need a name when I started selling handcrafted items in my quilt guild's show boutique, and finally in 2009 when I started blogging I didn't have to agonize over a clever name, because I really loved "Poppyprint."
(Dresdens and red polka dots--on my list of things to do!)
2. Were there other names you considered, and can you share any of them with us?

Nope! I have a terrible time naming quilts and trying to come up with a clever blog name would have been impossible! I'm amazed by some of the hilarious and clever wordplay names in blogland.

3. Now that you are recognized by Poppyprint, are you happy with it, or do you wish you could change it to something else?


I'm super happy. I couldn't possibly change now because I've even got a nickname! My friend Lynne (who had me fooled for months with her blog name Lily's Quilts--I thought I had TWO new friends!) calls me Pops. That makes me smile every time I see it in a Flickr comment or an email. The friends I've made since I started blogging are just incredible. Thanks for inviting me on The Name Game, it's a really fun idea, Cindy!!

Thanks so much for playing this week, Krista, and sharing some of your beautiful work.  I hope you all go over to Poppyprint, have a look around and say hi.

Next week we'll hear the story behind verykerryberry.