Friday, July 29, 2011

Farmer's Wife Friday: I Love the Farm

This week's letter was written by Mrs. G.B.S. of Saline County, Missouri. She has the highest praise for the life of a farmer's wife. She hopes that the farmer her daughter marries will be college or university trained and that he may regard "...Agriculture as man's divinist vocation, worthy of the thoughtful best effort of the highest intelligence...to work to make farming the most respected of professions and farm life happier."

"Cities have produced men whose work one must admire but think of the combination of strength and tenderness that can swing an ax or a corn-knife all day and, at night, bath a tiny baby and put it to sleep in its crib."

The first block today is #53, Jackknife. I'm sure any farmer would have a jackknife in his pocket of his denim overalls.


I envision this mother hoping to hear her daughter pledge herself to a farmer in good times and bad, in peace and in plenty.

Block #64 is Peace & Plenty. The farmer's wife in the letter this week painted a "rosy" picture of life on the farm.
Carla has done these same blocks this week. See her thoughts on the letter, "I Love the Farm."

11 comments:

05 08
Mary said... #

gorgeous blocks!

Amy Friend said... #

Sharp blocks! I like the stories too. I wish I could find time for all these quilt alongs because I would like to do this one too.

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said... #

oh, i really like that jackknife block!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said... #

Wonderful blocks!

Anonymous said... #

Oh wow! I just LOVE what you are doing with your blocks and the solids. When this quilt is complete it will be a stunner! I appreciate what everyone is doing with FWQA because they are NOT EASY blocks to make. Miss Luella

Needled Mom said... #

Great blocks for this week.

Staci said... #

Your two color blocks are just gorgeous. I love the clean look, and how 'modern' the blocks feel. Beautiful!

Mrs Flying Blind... said... #

Oh these look so perfect, yay!

Terriaw said... #

I love how you share your thoughts on these letters, and the thought you put into the colors you paired for these blocks. Such great contrast! They look great together.

Unknown said... #

Oh, they look so nice!

Mama Pea said... #

More beautiful blocks. Please...it's absolute torture watching you make these. Some day I will get to do them!