Friday, November 18, 2011

Farmer's Wife Friday: Independence and Charm

After an absence of a few weeks, we have a farmer's wife today from Jasper County, Missouri. I really enjoyed this letter. It almost made me want to pack up and move to the farm. "There is spring time, blossom time, fruit time, harvest time and the long winter evenings by the fireside. There's a flower for every month of the year." This is a farmer's wife who works hard, but with careful planning she can find "a number of hours for reading, writing and social pleasures and in this day of autos and good roads, has time and opportunity for movies, concerts and lectures."

I liked her next sentences the most: "The woman who is a drudge on a farm will be a drudge wherever you put her. It is lack of management, lack of order and lack of backbone and brains that make drudgery." I'm sure there is a lot of truth to that.

By her definition, I most certainly have at least moments of drudgery, especially as I look at my sewing room, which has no semblance of order at the present time. Right now I'm okay with that because it means things are being accomplished in the sewing room.

Both blocks this week have names inspired by birds.

No. 27, Darting Birds:

No. 52, Hovering Hawks:

Neither the names of the blocks nor the letter itself gave me any color inspiration, and Darting Birds had a few too many pieces for my taste in a 6" block. I have found that the 6x6 grid in a block this size with so many HSTs kinda makes me grouchy. Hovering Hawks, which had slightly larger pieces, put me in a much better mood.

I didn't count how many blocks I've made so far, but it's getting to be a nice little stack!
See what Carla thought of this week's farmer's wife.

7 comments:

05 08
Carla said... #

You made me smile today, Cindy!

Amy Friend said... #

You are doing such a nice job on these blocks! It will make an amazing quilt.

Archie The Wonder Dog said... #

More lovely blocks! Love the colours in the hawk block!

Michelle said... #

Those are neat blocks!

Mrs Flying Blind... said... #

Ooh the 'darting birds' remind me of gingerbread men - I must be hungry!

Terriaw said... #

Cool letter this week! I love how she described the different seasons, rather than seasons, but based on the work to be done around the farm. They were so realistic and practical, weren't they. Cool blocks! I love that they were inspired by birds, but not too literally.

Kritta22 said... #

Great job! I can't wait to see them together.