Thursday, December 6, 2012

Really Random Thursday, 12/6/12

Things that have not started. Yet.
should be sewing. It is December 6 and I have not even started with my holiday sewing.



I love globes. Of all sizes.
Last weekend I was down in southern California, via Amtrak. This was at the Bakersfield station. Love the way it bobs and floats on the water.
Things that happened while I was away.
About 1 1/2 years ago, the microwave above the oven stopped working. It was built in. So we hauled out a tiny cheap microwave that we had sitting around. For weeks every time I needed to use the microwave, I would walk over to the broken one, open the door, and wonder why there was a bowl with some screws sitting inside the microwave. Oh yeah. It's broken...

The problem was that to replace it exactly, with the trim kit that fit, was an astronomical $700. Um, don't think so. So we used the old one. It worked fine.

When I came home Sunday, one of the first things I noticed was this counter by the cook top. Hey, where is the old cheap white microwave?
Mark worked for hours during the weekend installing a new microwave. A very moderately priced microwave, using the existing trim kit with some modifications. Well done!
Except now I keep wandering over to the empty counter top, looking for the cheapie microwave. Such creatures of habit we become...

Something you don't see everyday.
Yes, indeed. Sighted in Barnes and Noble, a man wearing a kilt, perusing the magazine section.

My last name isn't Ford, but it should be.
Mark still gets his hometown newspaper from Minnesota. The other day there was an article about three sisters whose names were: Shelby, Galaxie and Fairlane. I bet their father has only ever driven Fords.

Decorations in my sewing room.
 I can guarantee this Target plate will be used as inspiration for a Christmas quilt,
And in honor of the 12 Days of Christmas, this video is worth watching to the very end:
What's been going on in your life in the last week?





23 comments:

05 08
FlourishingPalms said... #

What a happy surprise to have a new microwave. I'd faint away from shock if I returned home from a trip to something like that. My hubby doesn't do anything handy. Love seeing how you find inspiration - those Target plates. I'm always looking for inspiration and seem to overlook it anyway! Thanks for sharing the video which I've seen before, but always enjoy.

pcquilter said... #

Kudos to Mark for the surprise. If I came home to anything like that Amex would have fixed it! I got a lot accomplished this week...finally finished the quilt for our great nephew who is 2 and got matching dresses done for Our granddaughter and her American Girl doll. Pete is gone to visit with his sister and brother so I am hoping for a productive weekend!

B Greene said... #

I love Straight No Chaser and finally got to see them last month - great show!! Enjoy the new microwave.

Carla said... #

GREAT video Cindy. So fun. I am off to link up!

Carla said... #

You snagged a good one, with that Mark guy! Better hang on to him!! I loved the video...thanks for sharing. Great post as always, Cindy!

Anna said... #

What a wonderful surprise to come home to! :) I've got 2 quilts to get done before Christmas. Tops are done- just have to quilt them!

Its funny, my brother wears a kilt all the time. We're not even Scottish or anything. He just likes them because they're comfortable lol his aren't plaid though- he gets them from Utilikilt!

Angela Bullard said... #

Not sure why my link got added twice, sorry!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said... #

You have an awesome kitchen Cindy.
Only in Minnesota - Fairlane....really?
Why are you posting Random Thursdays every other day this month?

Lee said... #

LOL, my daughter and I heard that Straight No Chaser song on XM Radio the other day and could hardly believe our ears. How does the 5 Days of Christmas turn into a Toto song?? : )

LC said... #

I haven't started my Christmas sewing yet either, and I feel better knowing that you haven't :) We have time!

Terriaw said... #

That Target plate ties in with a graphic design project I'm working on right now! I love snowglobes too. I haven't started any Christmas sewing, and don't think I'll get to it until after Christmas. LOL!

ChristaQuilts said... #

Thanks for the fun linkups! I just found your blog and I love it!

Lucy | Charm About You said... #

I love globes too - any kind! Actually I've got the kids a big inflatable one for Christmas!
Mark sure is wonderful :)
And the kilt is awesome, you really don't see that often - more men should wear them!

Kris from Duke Says Sew What said... #

Great post Cindy.. I can already see that plate become a Cindy quilt! I loved that video and ended up spending the last half hour on YouTube watching many of their performances....and the Shawn proposal. They are great!!

Susan said... #

Your random posts are SO interesting!! The globe is fabulous, your Mark is a real treasure, and the Target plate would make a wonderful quilt block! Thanks for sharing some of your non-quilting life!

Needle little Balance said... #

What a great surprise after this nice trip! :-)

Katy Cameron said... #

Another crazy selection of random, thank you :oD

Farm Quilter said... #

Where did you get this picture of my dad in his kilt? Except that my dad is thinner, this guy looks like him, right down to the glasses!!! Congrats on the new microwave, great trip and new inspiration! The video was great - thanks for posting it!!

OPQuilt said... #

Loved this post and cool that I get to see your new microwave. To feel right at home, just stick a bowl of screws in there and you won't miss the other one at all. And I think you should get a kilt. And bend over and look at magazines.

I just did 10 more comments on Freshly Pieced. I. Am. Done. I'm also in my jammies--that kind of day, with still too much grading ahead of me. But I did get my cart put together (and yes, Dave hates it). Oh well. I like it.

Happy Thursday!
Elizabeth

Salley said... #

That was a Hoot! Thankyou!

Anna said... #

I love globes too and yay for husbands who surprise us with things when getting back from a trip. Mine usually cleans before I get home. :)

I have a random question. Your "you might also like" led me to one of your earliest posts where you featured swap blocks with a bird theme and a really cute owl fabric. Whatever happened to that quilt? Have you finished it?

Mama Pea said... #

I really enjoyed this post. you are so brilliant at writing really random posts. Have a great day. Sorry I couldn't get a random post up today. I had no time to collect stuff this week. Awesome video!

Archie The Wonder Dog said... #

I love that plate!!!