Thursday, March 21, 2013

Really Random Thursday: 3/21/13

Oh, randomness....where does it come from? I keep a little list of possible things to share. After I write my post each week, I think to myself, "What am I going to post next week? Will there be anything random in the next week? Will I just be saying, 'This week I've got nothing...how about you?'" And yet by the time Thursday rolls around again, lo and behold, there are things to share. So let's get started.

Color me red
Last week I branched out a bit when getting the color of my hair touched up. I had seen Ali post the picture of her hair on Instagram and fell in love with it. I have never had foil in my hair and I wanted the highlights and lowlights. I'm pretty happy with it. But next time I'll go bolder.
A bit of O'Family
Our niece (Becky) has a daughter (Norah) who was born on St. Patrick's Day. She turned 5 this year; they live in the Chicago area. St. Paul, MN, has a St. Patrick's Day parade every year, and now it is an annual event for Norah to participate in the parade. Mark's brother (Leon--the grandfather) decorated a rocking chair throne for her to sit on. Last year it was 80 degrees. This year it was 21 degrees. Brrrrr.
Leon, Norah and Becky
Flea Market Fancy
I want this table. The quest for parts has begun...

Don't take away my spoon
The charms of a blue Yogurtland spoon. Apparently he even sleeps with it...
The face on the right is the one he always gives me when he knows he is posing...
Just because...
This arrived in the mail, an exquisitely handmade journal made by Mark's brother, Leon, the same brother who made the birthday throne. He is SO talented. (I'll be posting process pictures at a later date, along with some vintage Singer sewing machines that he is changing from trash to treasure). I love this journal. And I love him too.
It's that time of year...
...for Peeps in a rainbow of colors.
It's weird...
...when you see your last name, which is not all that common, on an advertisement during a basketball game. Yes, we googled it: complete auto service in Las Vegas since 1948.

It's also this time of year
Yes, folks, it's March Madness. I don't now what things are like at your house, but in our house, when Aaron was still around in the days before college, he and Mark would fill out the March Madness bracket. Every year. Aaron always filled his out in ink. One year I decided to join in the fun. But since I don't really follow college basketball, and consequently don't have a clue as to the players, strength of schedule, stats, etc., I took a slightly different approach. I filled mine out entirely based on what the mascot was. I researched. I knew what a Syracuse Orangeman was. I knew what a Saluki was. Would an Auburn Tiger be triumphant over the Stanford Cardinal, which is the color, not the bird, by the way. I had a dilemma when it came to the Duke Blue Devils and the Wake Forest Demon Deacons--that seemed like kind of an even match to me. It was fun. And I actually paid attention to the games that year. And my Auburn Tigers actually advanced much further than anyone thought. See? Not such a stupid method after all...


It's nice to see Aaron has continued the tradition. Last night, Charlotte and Levi both filled out a bracket, Charlotte by herself and Levi with a little help.  And who wouldn't give herself an advantage by filling out her bracket with a pink feather pen??
Apparently, according to Aaron, both Charlotte and Levi have Butler and Bucknell advancing pretty far. He suspects it is because both schools sound like "butt." Seems about right for that age group...

However, I think Charlotte should help me fill out this bracket, the Modern Madness bracket (you can find it here at the Fat Quarterly blog), to determine which fabric line will be the 2013 champion. It's all in fun. I mean, all fabric lines are champions, right? I really think Aaron should fill one out too, being completely out of his element like I am with basketball.

I wonder if he would do it if I bribe him with some baseball cards...

My favorite picture of the week
Sharing...

Finally,
if you are a music lover and like the song by Gotye, "Somebody that I used to know," you might really like this cover by Walk Off the Earth. One guitar, five people. Wow. (the guy on the right kind of cracks me up...)

Edit: Mark reminded me that he can't pull up the video on his iPad or iPhone. If you are having the same problem, you can find the video on Youtube if you search "Walk Off the Earth, somebody that I used to know." Click on the one that says "5 peeps 1 guitar."
 
So what about you? A little or a lot of random in your life? Do share.


  


24 comments:

05 08
Lucy | Charm About You said... #

A wonderful random week! My son was born half an hour after St Patricks Day!! I really tried because his Grandad is Irish but it wasn't to be, at least he can celebrate both when he's older! He was 5 on Monday :)
Your hair look gorgeous!
The sharing picture is just absolutely the cutest!

Lucy | Charm About You said... #

Oh and I meant to say the journal is beautiful!
And now I've watched the video and the guy on the right is just so funny!!!

Kerstin said... #

Love your hair color! And is that a table out of windows? How cool!

Sara said... #

Your hair color is beautiful!! I always wanted to have some red highlights...ah I can always dream and the hubby looks at me like I am nuts;)

I was smiling when you said that two of your grandkids do the March Madness thing and you think they choose by who has butt in their name...sounds like something up my 5 yr old son's alley. I.E. the word fart!

What a pretty song!

Selfsewn said... #

Loving that table!!!

Debbie said... #

yay for randomness - enjoyed yours...

ChristaQuilts said... #

Love the hair! I'm in Vegas and have heard about that tire place since growing up. I assumed it was a large chain, LOL!!

The Luedtke Family said... #

Love your hair. Just had mine cut, but am not happy with it.

The parade was AWESOME, so much fun. Thanks for sharing!

Dad knows places where you can rummage and get all your parts for your table.

Not yet exposed Norah to Peeps, she would love them.

Gotta love finding your name. Eric and I stole, um, took a glass from "Luedtke Oakcrest Tavern" in Madison, WI once.

Eric and I filled out our brackets after school. Norah did half of hers with me this morning. She has Akron vs. Oklahoma with Akron making it to the final four. Gonzaga vs. Ohio with Gonzaga winning. So she has chosen Gonzaga to make it to the final four. We have yet to complete the other side. Not sure how she chose, but she was quick and decisive. Sort of in her nature. You should hear her name any stuffed animal, or character, or car, or stone, or anything that becomes something. Quick and hilarious.

Shorts?!?!?!? Really?!?!?! I would just be happy with needing a medium coat and not heavy winter coats with hats and mittens.

Needled Mom said... #

LOVE the hair, the table AND the peeps!

Your BIL sounds like a very talented man. The journal is gorgeous and his St Patrick's chair looks like fun - even at 21*.

Your little one with his spoon is too cute.

Cathy said... #

Love the posing face! That table is to die for. I must show it to my mom. She most likely has the parts for just such a table in her messy shed. I have a 16 year old cousin born on St Pats. The only one in the family to have red hair?????? By the way, your hair rocks.

Grandma G said... #

Love the little princess on the throne... and great pic with her mama and grandpa! Also love the little cutie with the blue spoon... and his siblings, of course! How blessed you are to have them all in your life!

JHNickodemus said... #

Loving the hair! I just went more blonde. That spoon business cracks me up! Thanks for inspiring me to go for the Fat Quarterly Modern Madness!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said... #

I worked up to having really dark lowlights along with my usual highlights in my hair over about a year and now I love them (I'm a dishwater blonde going gray). I prefer the posing cute scrunchy face to the stage where they get that horrible fake smile. I had to stop taking pics of my DD when she lingered there too long! ;-)

Mrs Flying Blind... said... #

Loving your hair and this week's randomness xxx

Scrapatches said... #

Favorite post of the day. Thanks! :) Pat

Farm Quilter said... #

Great hair - bolder is fun!!! Absolute adore that table...and I have a couple of lead-glass windows that are 75-80 years old...wasn't sure what to do with them, but now I'm looking at making a table like this!!! Time to go hunting at the neighboring farmer's dump site!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said... #

Your random posts always bring a smile to my face! I can't ever think of anything too random, but since you are the first blog I ever linked up to, I keep coming back to see what's up every Thursday!

Katy Cameron said... #

Fab collection of familial randomness, love the new do!

Terriaw said... #

A full life with lots of fun randomness going on. I love your new highlights and lowlights. (I used to do that once or twice a year, back in the day when I had a job.) Thank goodness my husband doesn't like sports cuz I really don't like basketball or March Madness. Have a great weekend!

Maggid said... #

What a totally delightful blog! Thank You! -g-

Maggie said... #

Really enjoyed all your randomness !

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said... #

I've enjoyed your random post and your hair looks great!

CitricSugar said... #

Oooh, love your hair!!

I know extremely little about basketball. Any bracket I filled out would be completely really random. :-)

Mama Pea said... #

I really want your BIL. I love your hair, and definitely more bold next time. You can carry it! I want a purple streak in my hair, but I'm not sure it would work with my curls. Curse them.