Monday, April 22, 2013

The Name Game: Fabric Mutt


I'm so happy to have Heidi here today, from Fabric Mutt. Aren't you anxious to see how she chose such an interesting name for her blog?

So, Heidi, how did you choose the name Fabric Mutt?
 
 I had been thinking about starting a blog for a few weeks, but I wasn't sure what to call it. I remember lying in bed one night and suddenly thinking, "Fabric Mutt." The more I turned it over in my mind, the more I loved it. My sewing education has come from here, there, and everywhere, so I'm definitely a mutt in that sense. I loved having some sort of theme to the blog -- it was fun to tie it in with the titles on my sidebar, and I loved designing the header which features one of our family dogs, Naomi, who passed away earlier this year. I also really liked that "fabric" was in my blog name. I think patterns and designs are foundational to a project, but it's the choice of fabric that always has the biggest impact on me. 

Were there other names you considered, and can you share any of them with us?
 I'm sure there were other names that I considered, but they must not have been any good. I can't remember a single one of them!

Now that you are recognized by Fabric Mutt, are you happy with it, or do you wish you could change it to something else?
I'm very happy with the name. It's simple, fun, and approachable. I want people who visit my blog to feel welcome and comfortable no matter where they are in their skills. I'm coming up on my first anniversary of diving into sewing and starting this blog, and while I've grown so much this year, there's still so much more to learn and try. One of the things I love most about the online sewing community is the encouragement and joy that people have in sharing with each other. I've been so blessed by bloggers who were kind and generous with me as I was just starting out, and I want to be the same to other bloggers and readers, especially those who are beginners. It's been an amazing journey so far, and I know there are more great adventures to come!

 It's hard to believe Heidi has only been sewing for a year! She just finished a really great blog hop series called Girl Friday Sews, with lots of fabulous projects by a variety of bloggers, including this one by Heidi.
Don't forget to check it out here. So say hi to Heidi and look around--I think we can expect a lot of wonderful things from her in the future!


15 comments:

05 08
Susan said... #

What a great story! I love how Heidi sees the fabric as having the biggest impact on her project. And to think she has only been sewing for a year! Incredible!

Lucy | Charm About You said... #

Brilliant, I love seeing all her projects again and I did wonder about where her name came from!

Needled Mom said... #

Wow...only one year? She has done an amazing job so far and I do like her blog name.

Carla said... #

I love Heidi's blog. Very fun

Heidi Staples said... #

Thanks so much for letting me come for a visit! This was so fun!!

Deborah said... #

Heidi is one of my favorite bloggers. She's so talented and such a lovely person.

Beth said... #

Great post - I enjoyed learning more about Heidi!

Anita said... #

Wow, I can't believe it's only been a year, I must've started following from the beginning. So glad I did :)

Nita said... #

I enjoyed that post very much!

Mrs Flying Blind... said... #

Great name, and lovely makes x

Katy Cameron said... #

This was definitely one I wondered about! Thanks for sharing :oD

Mama Pea said... #

Only a year? Amazing. Better watch out for her! :-)

QuiltCandy said... #

Heidi at Fabric Mutt is so talented, she has so many wonderful makes already :-)

Taryn V. said... #

Fabric Mutt is definitely one of my favorite blogs! I loved reading the story behind the name!

Sarah said... #

I follow Heidi's blog and always wondered about the unique name! I love the new profile picture of you at the beach, too, Cindy.