Thursday, June 6, 2013

Really Random Thursday, 6/6/13: The Kansas Edition


I just returned yesterday from a trip to western Kansas to see one of my dearest friends, Trudy. We lived in Scott City, Kansas, for the first five years of our marriage and have remained friends with Trudy, and her husband, Don, along with her brother, sister-in-law and their family, since that time.
Frontier Airlines started flying out of Fresno again, after a long absence, and offered tickets that were nearly free way too good to pass up. Jessie now lives in western Kansas as well, so George (her dad) and Cheri flew out with me to Denver, we rented a car and drove into Kansas.
So our flight was a little delayed, and we arrived in Denver at nearly 7 p.m. Then we had to get the rental car and make the drive into Kansas. It was early a five-hour drive, along with another time change, so by the time they dropped me off at Don and Trudy's it was nearly 1 a.m. Here is the funny thing. It was June 1st in Kansas. It was still May 31st in Fresno. How weird is that? I had to text Mark.


This is what it looks like in the daytime when you drive into town. Flat. You can see for miles.



  But who cares? This is where I woke up the next morning:



And where I drank a lot of coffee:


I wandered around the house and snapped some pictures. Trudy made this quilt.


There was some texty fabric in it so she chose some the phrases and put them around the room.


I tried to sneak this clock into my suitcase.


Saturday night Trudy and Don had her family over for dinner, along with Jessie, George and Cheri. Of course I decided we all needed some wine. I found some from Madera County, just up the road from us here in Fresno!


The next day we went to see where Jessie hangs out in Garden City. She has her own little plot in the community garden.


We saw her house and the golf course where Luke is general manager.


It was a really nice day and we had a great time sitting out on the deck at the golf course and having lunch.

Trudy and I exchanged gifts. She is the recipient of the bag I recently completed. She gave me a beautiful necklace.


We had one really nice day where the wind wasn't blowing with gale force so we hung out in her back yard.



We had lunch with two of her friends in a movie-theater-turned-restaurant.


And then we went to a quilt shop in a neighboring town.



We had a severe weather warning Tuesday night.


Did I mention it can get very windy in western Kansas? (the link--I've been having a lot of trouble with videos lately)


I had the best time. Thanks, Trudy!


All too soon it was time to say goodbye.

Your turn.

19 comments:

05 08
Jodi said... #

Looks like a great time, from the gorgeous house, to the sun shining in on the table, and my favorite photo, the fantastic quilt!!! Love those colors together!

Pomegranate Quilts said... #

This post is the most perfect kind of journal. Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip with us!

Lucy | Charm About You said... #

Amazing pictures! I love that restaurant - what a great idea!

Terri said... #

Looks like a wonderful trip and visit with your friend! I love that feeling when you get home and feel so full of love and warmth. Love seeing sneak peaks around her house. That quilt is gorgeous, especially with the green paint on the walls in that room. Welcome back home now.

Nicole said... #

Do you have a better picture of that bed quilt? Or can Trudy send you a better one? And I'm glad you had a good trip.

Sara said... #

Score on the tickets eh?!! Amen to that.

I love the house you stayed in and that Trudy took the words out of the quilt and put them on the walls. Very clever idea!

Wine is always needed you know;) Yum!

How was the quilt shop?

Vicki said... #

Wow, aren't friends fun? Cheap tickets are great! Welcome home...

Molly said... #

Oh boy, that house is gorgeous! I am glad to know you had fun and your friend sure is lucky to have received that lovely bag!

Susan said... #

Trudy's house and quilt are wonderful blooms like you had the best time!

Nita said... #

I enjoyed this post very much - a nice little escape on my coffee break :)

Karen said... #

What a gorgeous house! Thanks for sharing all the lovely pics of your trip :o)

Allison said... #

sounds like you had such a lovely time :) that clock really is gorgeous!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said... #

Looks like you had a fantastic trip! I might be a tee tiny bit jealous!

Mrs Flying Blind... said... #

What a great trip xxx

Sarah said... #

Looks like a great break. Hey, western Kansas is as flat as South Australia! I never realised that. I would love the clock too.

Archie The Wonder Dog said... #

Looks like a wonderful trip!

Katy Cameron said... #

Ooh, ooh, so on your way home did you have to say 'I guess we're not in Kansas any more?' :oD Oh, and if you want real flat you need to go to Saskatchewan. Man that place is flat for thousands of miles o.O

Andrea said... #

Oh, that looks like such a great trip. I would like to visit Kansas one day too. That clock...oh that clock!!! I want that clock!!!!

Mama Pea said... #

Yeah. I'd have tried to steal the clock, too. What a beautiful home!

Oh, I forgot to say on your last post....I really need to get myself some tags to sew in stuff.